The Dos and Don’ts of Using Tech to Ensure Affinity Between the Employer Brand and Employees
In HRchat episode 330 we look at the tech available to help businesses rehire at scale.
My guest this time is Brian Sommer. For nearly four decades, Brian has been an award-winning writer, technology industry analyst and consultant to some of the largest firms in the world. He is considered one of the most respected business technologists in the industry, Brian’s counsel is especially sought after by top executives of Global 2000 firms.
Brian often leads IT negotiations, software selections, and technology strategy initiatives with clients globally. He’s also a frequent speaker at many tech, HR and Accounting events. He also covers the big “E” enterprise software space (i.e., ERP, HR, Financial and other software) for technology sites ZDNet and Diginomica.com. Brian writes long-form pieces that often include substantial amounts of industry research on topics that matter to CIOs, CFOs and CEOs.
Employee Attraction and Monitiring
Listen as we discuss the moral and ethical implications of using tech to ensure candidates fit with the employer brand. For example, Brian and I discuss if tech vendors should continue on a journey to ‘pry’ into the personal lives and views of employees.
- After the recession of 2008-09, employers were unprepared for the sheer volume of applicants that were seeking new employment. This time around they have had time to prepare – including instilling tech and processes to make hiring more equitable. What’s different between the tsunami of applicants back then and what’s happening now?
- How are AI and machine learning-based applications helping to process more video interviews, rank candidates in fairer ways than an ATS, and look for people with new kinds of values?
- There’s lots of talk about skills-based hiring over and above hiring based on past performance. In a world flipped upside down; one where many people want to pivot and take their skills into new industries, how can tech help ensure that those people lacking experience can get a fair shot?
- Which firms have done a good job at preparing their HR teams for the rigors of hiring and retaining talent?
- With all the talk about ensuring better affinity between the employer brand and the employee and being one’s authentic self, is ‘spying tech’ used by business justified?
More About Brian Sommer
Brian began his career with Accenture and quickly became a key player in their ERP, Finance and Human Resources practices. He continues to consult with clients globally and is frequently sought out as a keynote speaker at software, Wall Street, and other events. He also conducts guest lectures at many of the nation’s leading graduate business programs.